Monday, March 19, 2012

PT Number Switch-a-Roo

Ok, so recently there have been a lot of searches in the PT call number range (Germanic literature). So, I thought I would do a post on where I have found them.

Besides the usual hiding places of the PR, PS, and once a PN (!), the numbers in this range frequently get mixed up, like so much that I can’t even discern the thought process of how items were shelved the way they were. The first was a PT2681 (fill the rest in if you’d like, but the beginning is what matters here) and I found it hanging out with the PT2421 books. The only thing I can think of is at least the first and the last number matches…who cares about the in-between? Or it could be like one of those word things you see every now and again about how the brain only cares about the first and last letter (or in this case number) and makes you think the stuff in the middle is right. Either way, this one baffles me and is about a crazy as the books you find randomly on the shelf where it doesn’t even remotely belong.

Then of course I found the book with the call number PT2664 hanging out with the PT2624 books. This happens more often than you think and in many different ways. For example (and this happens more frequently in than in this case), the number 2664 could end up with in the 3664, 3564, 8664, 7564, etc. Usually the mix up happens before the last 2 numbers, but in this case it was the first 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment